Repudiating non-repudiation

robin benson rob at hammerheadmedia.co.uk
Mon Dec 29 15:56:05 EST 2003

On 29 Dec 2003, at 19:29, Paul A.S. Ward wrote:

> This first case is actually quite amusing.  I was recently the subject
> of identity theft.
> Specifically, the thieves had my SSN (SIN, actually, since it is in
> Canada), and my
> driver's licence number.  They produced a fake driver's licence, and
> used it to open
> bank accounts in my name.  When this all came to light, the bank
> wanted a notarized
> document that said that I did not open these accounts or know anything
> about them.
> And what was required for notarization?  I had to go to city hall and
> get someone
> who had never met me before to look at my photo ID (which was my
> drivers licence)
> and sign the form saying it was me!  Great system!

A friend of mine went through the same city hall process in the US,
although for a different reason (still in the context of proof of
identity) and was given a dot-matrix printout which was then considered
good enough for somebody else who had previously declared a current
passport as falling short of the mark.

Robin
-
robin benson