Repudiating non-repudiation

Paul A.S. Ward pasward at ccng.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Dec 29 14:29:04 EST 2003

Jerrold Leichter wrote:

>	D. Self-authentication: A few types of documents are
>	"self-authenticating," because they are so likely to be what they
>	seem, that no testimony or other evidence of their genuineness need be
>	produced. [474 - 475]
>
>		1. State provisions: Under most state statutes, the following
>		are self-authenticating: (1) deeds and other instruments that
>		are notarized;

This first case is actually quite amusing.  I was recently the subject
of identity theft.
Specifically, the thieves had my SSN (SIN, actually, since it is in
Canada), and my
driver's licence number.  They produced a fake driver's licence, and
used it to open
bank accounts in my name.  When this all came to light, the bank wanted
a notarized
document that said that I did not open these accounts or know anything
about them.
And what was required for notarization?  I had to go to city hall and
get someone
who had never met me before to look at my photo ID (which was my drivers
licence)
and sign the form saying it was me!  Great system!

Paul A.S. Ward, Assistant Professor  Email: pasward at ccng.uwaterloo.ca
University of Waterloo                      pasward at computer.org
Department of Computer Engineering   Tel: +1 (519) 888-4567 ext.3127
Waterloo, Ontario                    Fax: +1 (519) 746-3077
Canada N2L 3G1                       URL: http://www.ccng.uwaterloo.ca/~pasward