Microsoft publicly announces Penny Black PoW postage project

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Sun Dec 28 13:29:27 EST 2003

Oh yes forgot one comment:

One down-side of memory bound is that it is memory bound.  That is to
say it will be allocated some amount of memory, and this would be
chosen to be enough memory to that a high end machine should not have
that much cache so think multiple MB, maybe 8MB, 16MB or whatever.
(Not sure what is the max L2 cache on high end servers).

And what the algorithm will do is make random accesses to that memory
as fast as it can.

So effectively it will play badly with other applications -- tend to
increase likelihood of swapping, decrease memory available for other
applications etc.  You could think of the performance implications as
a bit like pulling 8MB of ram or whatever the chosen value is.

hashcash / computationally bound functions on the other hand have a
tiny footprint and CPU consumption by hashcash can be throttled to
avoid noticeable impact on other applications.

Adam