Microsoft publicly announces Penny Black PoW postage project

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Fri Dec 26 21:37:18 EST 2003

I did work at Microsoft for about a year after leaving ZKS, but I quit
a month or so ago (working for another startup again).

But for accuracy while I was at Microsoft I was not part of the
microsoft research/academic team that worked on penny black, though I
did exchange a few emails related to that project and hashcash etc
with the researchers.

I thought the memory-bound approaches discussed on CAMRAM before were
along the lines of hash functions which chewed off artificially large
code foot-print as a way to impose the need for memory.

Arnold Reinhold's HEKS [1] (Hash Extended Key Stretcher) key stretching
algorithm is related also.  HEKS aims to make hardware attacks on key
stretching more costly: both by increasing the memory footprint
required to efficiently compute it, and by requiring operations that
are more expensive in silicon (32 bit multiplies, floating point is
another suggestion he makes).

The relationship to hashcash is you could simply use HEKS in place of
SHA1 to get the desired complexity and hence silicon cost increase.

"The main design goal of this algorithm is to make massively parallel
key search machines it as expensive as possible by requiring many
32-bit multiplies and large amounts of memory."

I think I also recall discussing with Peter Gutmann the idea of using
more complex hash functions (composed of existing hash functions for
security) to increase the cost of hardware attacks.

The innovation in the papers referred to by the Penny Black project
was the notion of building a cost function that was limited by memory
bandwidth rather CPU speed.  In otherwords unlike hashcash (which is
CPU bound and has minimal working memory or code footprint) or a
notional hashcash built on HEKS or other similar system (which is
supposed to take memory and generaly expensive operations to build in
silicon), the two candidate memory-bound functions are designed to be
computationally cheap but require a lot of random access memroy
utilization in a way which frustrates time-space trade-offs (to reduce
space consumption by using a faster CPU).  They then argue that this
is desirable because there is less discrepency in memory latency
between high end systems and low end systems than there is discrepency
in CPU power.

The 2nd memory [3] bound paper (by Dwork, Goldber and Naor) finds a
flaw in in the first memory-bound function paper (by Adabi, Burrows,
Manasse, and Wobber) which admits a time-space trade-off, proposes an
improved memory-bound function and also in the conclusion suggests
that memory bound functions may be more vulnerable to hardware attack
than computationally bound functions.  Their argument on that latter
point is that the hardware attack is an economic attack and it may be
that memory-bound functions are more vulnerable to hardware attack
because you could in their view build cheaper hardware more
effectively as the most basic 8-bit CPU with slow clock rate could
marshall enough fast memory to under-cut the cost of general purpose
CPUs by a larger margin than a custom hardware optimized
hashcash/computationally bound function.

I'm not sure if their conclusion is right, but I'm not really
qualified -- it's a complex silicon optimization / hardware
acceleration type question.

Adam

[1] http://world.std.com/~reinhold/HEKSproposal.html

[2] Abadi, Burrows, Manasse and Wobber "Moderately Hard, Memory-bound
Functions", Proceedings of the 10th Annual Network and Distributed
System Security Symposium, February 2003

http://research.microsoft.com/research/sv/PennyBlack/demo/memory-final-ndss.pdf

[3] Dwork, Goldberg, and Naor, "On Memory-Bound Functions for Fighting
Spam", Proceedings of the 23rd Annual International Cryptology
Conference (CRYPTO 2003), August 2003.

http://research.microsoft.com/research/sv/PennyBlack/demo/lbdgn.pdf