yahoo to use public key technology for anti-spam

Carl Ellison cme at acm.org
Mon Dec 8 23:40:00 EST 2003

I'm not connecting to an open relay.  When I pay for service at the local
internet café, part of what I get for my money is time on their SMTP server.
..ditto when I pay for cable modem, as I am doing right now.  My cable modem
provider is cablespeed.com and SMTP server is mail.cablespeed.com.  As far
as I know, it's available only to its legit subscribers. However, at the end
of the month, I'll be signed up with a different cable modem provider. That
relationship will last a couple of months, and then I'll be with a different
one.  Each of these is legit. None is an open relay. But, I don't want to
send change-of-address notes out to all my friends every time I change - so
I receive through (and identify myself via) a remailer at acm.org.

 - Carl

|Carl M. Ellison         cme at acm.org      http://theworld.com/~cme |
|    PGP: 75C5 1814 C3E3 AAA7 3F31  47B9 73F1 7E3C 96E7 2B71       |
+---Officer, arrest that man. He's whistling a copyrighted song.---+