yahoo to use public key technology for anti-spam

Kevin T. Neely ktneely at astroturfgarden.com
Sun Dec 7 15:34:24 EST 2003

Through the biting wind of a Cleveland Winter, I saw Anton Stiglic write:

> But you should be sending mails via *your* SMTP server, and should be
> connecting to that SMTP server using SSL and authentication.  Open relays
> encourage spam.  People shouldn't be relaying mail via just any SMTP server.

Yes, that's true for home or personal use, but in a large organization, mail is likely to go through multiple SMTP servers before it reaches the server which hosts the user's mailbox.
At my previous company, a piece of mail destined for a foreign address saw at least two and sometimes three SMTP servers on the way out; an inbound message from the outside saw at least three.  Each of these servers will need to write to the message headers.

Then there are the situations where you are at a company or university or something and they have locked down the outbound policies and it is impossible to initiate an outbound SMTP connection on port 25 or 465.  In those situations, one *must* use the local SMTP server, even if it's not the ideal one.

In Vino Veritas
ICQ: 14047557
http://userguide.mozdev.org
http://kevin.astroturfgarden.com