traffix analysis

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Wed Aug 27 23:14:14 EDT 2003

At 09:17 PM 8/27/2003 -0500, Anonymous wrote:
>It will often be possible to also trace the communication channel back
>through the crowd, by inserting delays onto chosen links and observing
>which ones correlate with delays in the data observed at the endpoint.
>This way it is not necessary to monitor all subscribers to the crowd,
>but rather individual traffic flows can be traced.

Using random "throwaway" WiFi neighborhood hotspots can blunt this type of
attack.  Even if they trace the link back to the consumer who lent his
bandwidth it may provide scant  information.

steve

Experience teaches us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the
government's purpose is beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert
to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest
dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal,
well-meaning but without understanding. -Louis Dembitz Brandeis, lawyer,
judge, and writer (1856-1941)