Cryptogram: Palladium Only for DRM

Peter N. Biddle peternbiddle at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 18 19:56:43 EDT 2002

Hey Ed - I think that we may be in agreement. Most of what you say below
makes sense to me.

This is how I have been describing trust recently - including it so that you
will at least understand where I am coming from when I use the term (cribbed
directly from a recent slide deck).

I can't trust anything (a component, an entity, etc.) unless.
    I know who/what it is, and that it's not an imposter
    I know its state-it has been properly initialized
    I know that it cannot be tampered with
    I know that my communication with it is private and tamper-proof
These are four elements of trust
    I still need to be able to verify (trust) that the component behaves
properly in an ongoing manner

Everyone has different perspectives on "trust," some even contextual
    "Doctrine of Multiple Trustors": trust is multi-way, not two-way
        It is up to each party to determine its own trust criteria, and to
use mechanisms (e.g., certification) to measure and assert those criteria
        Anything / everything can be certified to be trusted by anyone /
anything
     Many "things" (HW or SW) will be certified by more than one entity
        Each entity may be measuring different facets of trust

I'd love to see your papers.