Cryptogram: Palladium Only for DRM

Ed Gerck egerck at nma.com
Wed Sep 18 13:04:08 EDT 2002

Peter:

The question of "what is trust" might fill this listserver for months.
But, if we want to address some of the issues that Pd (and, to some
extent, PKI) forces on us then we must be clear what we mean when
we talk about  trust in a communication system -- what is a trusted
certificate, a trusted computer? Trusted for what? What happens
when I connect two computers that are trusted on matters of X --
are they trusted together on matters of X, less or more? What do
we mean by trustworthy?

I can send you some of my papers on this but the conclusion I arrived
is that in terms of a communication process, trust has nothing to do with
feelings or emotions.

Trust is qualified reliance on information, based on factors independent of
that information.

In short, trust needs multiple, independent channels to be communicated.
Trust cannot be induced by self-assertions -- like, "trust me!"  or "trust Pd!"
More precisely, "Trust is that which is essential to a communication channel
but cannot be transferred using that channel."  Please see the topic “Trust Points”
by myself in “Digital Certificates: Applied Internet Security” by Jalal Feghhi,
Jalil Feghhi and Peter Williams, Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-20-130980-7, pages
194-195, 1998.

That said, the option of being *able* to define your own signatures on what
you decide to trust does not preclude you from deciding to rely on someone
else's signature.  BTW, this has been used for some time with a hardened version
of Netscape, where the browser does not use *any* root CA cert unless you sign
it first.

Thanks for your nice  comment ;-)

Ed Gerck