FC: Hollywood wants to plug "analog hole," regulate A-D conve rters

Adam Fields fields at surgam.net
Wed May 29 17:04:09 EDT 2002

"Hughes, James P" says:
> Change the billboard for elevator music (which will be protected). Will you
> be able to play back your digital dictations *if* they were recorded in an
> environment that included background music.
>
> IMHO, Silly does not mean they will not be successful. Look at DMCA.

I'm curious - I've never seen any discussion of this, but it hit home
quite forcefully when I was ejected from my battery park apartment on
9/11 and needed to temporarily install some software on a new computer
- has anyone made the point that enforced technological copyright
protections are detrimental to security because they eliminate the
possibility of using that technology in an emergency?

More than not being able to take a picture of your kid's birthday -
what if all of those cameras refused to take pictures of the WTC
burning?  What if my computer was wiped out, and I needed to use a
copy of some software to tell people I was still alive? Even if I was
authorized to do so, the technological "protections" would prevent me
from doing it, because I wouldn't be able to prove it to them (and
this is a relatively minor inconvenience compared to the possibility
that the key grantor is destroyed). It seems like these are more
pervasive arguments that would appeal to more of a universal public
good (individual safety and public record) than mere "I want to watch
TV when >I< want to". Granted, I agree with that argument too, but
then, I'm one of the converted.

Given that we seem to be rapidly moving towards a future where
emergency situations are only going to become more prevalent, it seems
strangely like a serious (physical, societal, etc...) security risk to
lock down all this technology.