Ross's TCPA paper

pasward at shoshin.uwaterloo.ca pasward at shoshin.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jun 26 13:04:12 EDT 2002

I'm slightly confused about this.  My understanding of contract law is
that five things are required to form a valid contract: offer and
acceptance, mutual intent, consideration, capacity, and lawful
intent.  It seems to me that a click-through agreement is likely to
fail on at least one, and possibly two of these requirements.  First,
it is doubtful that there is mutual intent.  The average user doesn't
even read the agreement, so there is hardly mutual intent.  However,
even if I accept mutual intent, it would be easy to argue that there
is no capacity.  I have four children under the age of seven.  None of
them have the legal capacity to form a contract.  Three of them have
the physical capacity to click a button.  A corporation would
therefore have to demonstrate that I and not they clicked on the
agreement for the contract to be valid.

As a side note, it seems that a corporation would actually have to
demonstrate that I had seen and agreed to the thing and clicked
acceptance.  Prior to that point, I could reverse engineer, since
there is no statement that I cannot reverse engineer agreed to.  So
what would happen if I reverse engineered the installation so that the
agreement that was display stated that I could do what I liked with
the software?  Ok, so there would be no mutual intent, but on the
other hand, there would also be no agreement on the click-through
agreement either.

Paul

Paul A.S. Ward, Assistant Professor  Email: pasward at shoshin.uwaterloo.ca
University of Waterloo                      pasward at computer.org
Department of Computer Engineering   Tel: +1 (519) 888-4567 ext.3127
Waterloo, Ontario                    Fax: +1 (519) 746-3077
Canada N2L 3G1                       URL: http://shoshin.uwaterloo.ca/~pasward