Shortcut digital signature verification failure

bear bear at sonic.net
Fri Jun 21 13:12:41 EDT 2002

It's already been thunk of.  check the literature on "hash cash".

Basically, the idea is that the server presents a little puzzle
that requires linear computation on the client's side.  (same
algorithm as minsky used for his "time-lock").  The client
has to present the solution of the puzzle with a valid request.

To extend the idea to signatures, all you really have to do is
program the server to create puzzles that will take at least as
much computation to solve as it requires to check the signature.
And of course it checks the solution to the puzzle (using a single
modular-power operation, which is relatively cheap) before it
checks the signature itself.

			Bear