Maybe no stego on eBay afterall

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Sat Jul 20 12:38:25 EDT 2002

Nelson Minar wrote:
again:
  http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/07/17/steganography/

  Chet Hosmer ... said that in his research, very few messages on eBay
  show signs of being infected by terrorists. About one in 100,000
  pictures "appears suspicious," but a much smaller number -- "one in
  every 15 to 20 million files" -- is "something that we really
  believe is a real hidden message."

I find it interesting, though not in the least surprising, that the
above quote assumes that all users of steganography are terrorists. From
this position it is a small step to the position that all individual
civilian users of strong/unescrowed cryptography are terrorists.

--Lucky "you didn't /really/ think the crypto wars are over or did you?"
Green