wrong data model -- Re: MS DRMOS Palladium -- The Trojan Horse OS

Ed Gerck egerck at nma.com
Wed Jul 3 16:35:25 EDT 2002

Marc:

There is no reason IMO to talk about economics when basic
properties are being ignored.

DRMOS will fail for pretty much the same basic reason that PKI
is failing. We are still trying to create an absolute reference
to measure "distance" in dataspace, when such reference
cannot exist by definition. Data is not an absolute property.
Choosing a reference, and even trying to enforce it, is illusory.
Distance can be measured without extrinsic references and this
is the only model that fits the properties that we need to assign
to data.

A wrong data model is being used, which nonetheless may still
sound intuitive. But one cannot revoke the law of gravity, even
though one might have a good market for such.

Cheers,
Ed Gerck