MS DRMOS Palladium -- The Trojan Horse OS

Marc Branchaud marcnarc at rsasecurity.com
Wed Jul 3 12:42:42 EDT 2002

By patenting the DRMOS, only M$ will be allowed to create such a beast
(OK, they could license the patent without restrictions -- pardon me
while I pick myself up off the floor).  This means that the rest of the
planet's OSes will have nothing even approaching DRM functionality,
because nobody wants to be sued by M$.

That's good, but OTOH other OSes will not build anything approaching
secure computing either, for the same reason.

I expect M$ OSes to provide both secure computing as well as the DRM
nightmare outlined in Stallman's story.  I also expect all other OSes to
provide neither secure computing nor DRM.

Software patents.  Gotta love em!

		M.