Fingerprints (was: Re: biometrics)

Arnold G. Reinhold reinhold at world.std.com
Mon Jan 28 20:23:29 EST 2002

There is some interesting information at http://www.finger-scan.com/
They make the point that finger scanning differs from finger printing
in that what is stored is a set of recognition parameters much
smaller than a complete fingerprint image.  So there is no need for a
lengthily process to acquire an initial image. Presumably this also
makes finger scan data proprietary, since each vendor will use a
different recognition algorithm.

Finger Scan also has a page on accuracy where they debunk other
vendors' claims of 0.01% false reject/ 0.001% false accept, but tell
you to e-mail them for the real numbers.

Arnold Reinhold