biometrics

lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com
Mon Jan 28 12:52:20 EST 2002

X9.84 biometric standard & some other work means that you could actually
record all ten fingers in the card and any one would be acceptable. I
believe just plain dirty fingers are much more of a problem than a cut.
Simple cut can be "read-around" ... massive cut affecting the whole finger
is problem. .... unless you are talking about blood contamination if
band-aid is involved which would have to be removed.

What happens when a person forgets their pin (password) (one of the most
common customer call center calls ... and represents a significant
percentage of total customer call center costs when pin/password support is
involved)? One of the reasons that suprising percentage of cards have PINs
written on them (and postits with passwords are found near PCs).

What happens when person doesn't have any fingers? You can still support
pin-pad in parallel ... assuming that pin-pad is acceptable to people w/o
any fingers.

Next level gets somewhat more expensive ... having pin-pad, finger reader,
and say iris scan (recording all ten fingers and both iris (lots of work
that not only are all iris unique, even identical twins ... but left &
right in same person are unique, iris is also possible in most blind
people), plus finger-length scan.

And what happens when I am unable to press my thumb against the reader
because it is bandaged; or when my thumb ID fails because it was
sliced with a knife.