biometrics

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at columbia.edu
Mon Jan 28 12:38:11 EST 2002

And what happens when I am unable to press my thumb against the reader
because it is bandaged; or when my thumb ID fails because it was
sliced with a knife.

> lets say you are replacing pin'ed magstripe card with a chip card needing
> biometric ... say fingerprint (in place of a PIN) along with chip (in place
> of magstripe).
>
> there are two issues 1) effort to compromise the biometric is still
> significantly more difficult that a normal 4-digit pin and 2) there seems
> to be a large population that writes their 4-digit pin number on their card
> (as well as numerous tricks of capturing the PIN).

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 available now!!!
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Telnet, FTP and HTTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             secured with Kerberos, SRP, and
 kermit-support at columbia.edu                OpenSSL. Interfaces with OpenSSH