biometrics and not so secure hardware

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Jan 24 19:41:34 EST 2002

> I must admit that I worry about the ATMs in places like bars.  These
> machines do not seem to have a lot of physical protection.

I gather your concern is well placed.  I've read reports of little
doozits fitted to bar ATMs that make a copy of your stripe info and
keypad input when you use the machine, always removed when the bank
guy comes to fill it up.  Biometry swiping should be equally possible,
since it's just bits to the ATM.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
johnl at iecc.com, Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,