password-cracking by journalists...

J. Bruce Fields bfields at fieldses.org
Thu Jan 24 13:04:51 EST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Rhialto wrote:
> On Tue 22 Jan 2002 at 11:25:49 +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> > 1201(b)(2)(B): a technological measure ''effectively protects a right of
> >     a copyright owner under this title'' if the measure, in the ordinary
> >     course of its operation, prevents, restricts, or otherwise limits
> >     the exercise of a right of a copyright owner under this title.
>
> What I read is that *copyright owner* is being restricted here, and not
> a "user".

An example of a "right of a copyright owner under this title" is the right
to distribute copies of a work.  A copy-protection scheme limits the
exercise of this right.  The "copyright owner" referred to here is the
person who the particular right belongs to, not necessarily the person
whose exercise of that right is being limited.

---Bruce Fields