password-cracking by journalists...

Rhialto rhialto at azenomei.knuffel.net
Thu Jan 24 12:35:12 EST 2002

On Tue 22 Jan 2002 at 11:25:49 +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> 1201(b)(2)(B): a technological measure ''effectively protects a right of
>     a copyright owner under this title'' if the measure, in the ordinary
>     course of its operation, prevents, restricts, or otherwise limits
>     the exercise of a right of a copyright owner under this title.

Is this really the text? Either I read this wrong, or the text is
incredibly wrong in expressing its apparent intention.

What I read is that *copyright owner* is being restricted here, and not
a "user".

How: the measure prevents, restricts or limits ((the exercise of) a
right of) a copyright owner)...

So either I can't read (which I don't believe), the lawmakers cannot
write (I am more inclined to believe that), or the rules of language in
laws is different (that is true no matter what, in my experience).

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@     --Soep van de dag, wat zal dat zijn
\X/ xs4all.nl --wat kan dat wezen, beter maar het ergste vrezen -Boy Bensdorp