CFP: PKI research workshop

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Mon Jan 14 10:49:46 EST 2002

pasward at big.uwaterloo.ca wrote:

> If an automaker disclaimed liability for a vehicle, and a negligent
> design or manufacture resulted in injury or loss, it is my
> understanding that the liability disclaimer notwithstanding, the
> automaker would be held responsible.  Why do we believe that the same
> would not be the case for software?

Because insufficient case law exists -- some lawyers are bright
enough to see "pools of liability" with software, esp. known
vulnerabilities used in DDOS, etc. -- and we technologists are
not a litigious bunch.

What do you call someone who had a C average in law school?  "Your honor."
That's probably the other problem.