CFP: PKI research workshop

pasward at big.uwaterloo.ca pasward at big.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 14 10:04:21 EST 2002

Eric Rescorla writes:
 > Ben Laurie <ben at algroup.co.uk> writes:
 >
 > > Michael Sierchio wrote:

 > > > To be fair,  most commercial CA's require evidence of "right to use"
 > > > a FQDN in an SSL server cert.  But your point is apt.
 > >
 > > And most (all?) commercial CAs then disclaim any responsibility for
 > > having actually checked that right correctly...
 > While this is true, I'd point out that all the security software
 > you're using disclaims any responsibility for not having gaping
 > security holes.

If an automaker disclaimed liability for a vehicle, and a negligent
design or manufacture resulted in injury or loss, it is my
understanding that the liability disclaimer notwithstanding, the
automaker would be held responsible.  Why do we believe that the same
would not be the case for software?

Paul Ward