Interesting new cipher patent

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Feb 28 02:54:18 EST 2002

A question: assuming, you have a class of random number generators with
lots of internal state. (Lots: like >>10^6 bits). Let's say the evolution
through state space of that generator is provably reversible (or nearly
reversible), and that the Hamiltonian of the system is stochastic (system
evolution is a randomwalk in state space). The result is a pseudorandom
number generator with a ridiculously long periode, and good randomness of
output, obviously. A simple cypher based on it would exchange the
pseudorandom generator state (the key) through a secure channel,
similiarly to a one time pad.

Can someone point me towards papers describing construction of above
generators? I'm thinking about reversible cellular automata (is Gutowitz
the only guy who did CA crypto?) or automata networks with changing
connection geometry (i.e. the connection is also encoded in the state and
changes with each iteration) with the number of total iterations estimated
from lightcone considerations.

Point of this:

* algorithmic construction of PRNGs with provable properties
* lots of internal state, hence bit leakage even for a lot of messages
  buys attacker little
* scalable (add more state as hardware improves)
* directly mappable to hardware, very good parallelism

Any pointers?