CFS vs. loopback encryption (was Re: [open-source] File encryption)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Tue Feb 12 18:16:17 EST 2002

It's quite hard to guarantee that no one has unattended access to your
machine at any time.

A paranoid user could checksum his binaries, and keep the checksum and
minimal boot image on a flash USB fob, or boot off a CDROM, and keep
the checksum on flash.  Then the user could again consider the machine
part of the TCB modulo hardware keyboard sniffers etc.

So it might be nice for an encrypted file system to have native
support for authentication based on the password for this reason also.

Of course said paranoid users could always do their own authentication
using hmac or whatever of the entire file system contents, but
built-in support could more efficiently do this for larger file
systems by MACing parts (sectors?).

Adam