PGPfreeware 8.0: Not so good news for crypto newcomers

Jan Meyer jan at synflood.in-berlin.de
Mon Dec 9 21:24:50 EST 2002

Nicko van Someren wrote:

> I can also vouch for GPG on OSX and the GPGMail plug-in for the Apple
> Mail application works fairly well for GPG use, though not for key
> generation or administrative activities.  I moved over to PGP 8.0 when
> the beta came out and while I'm no novice with these things I greatly
> appreciate the slick user interface (and the disc encryption that's a
> few times faster than Apple's) so I am now running the PGP 8.0 Personal
> edition rather than GPGmail.
>
> I think this comes down to a classic time/money tradeoff.  PGP 8.0
> Personal edition is currently priced at $39.  Even as an experienced
> Unix and PGP user I think that the GUI on PGP 8.0 will save me an hour
> of effort over the lifetime of the product, which means it saves me
> money in the long run.

enigmail does a good job as well...

http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

Enigmail is a "plugin" for Mozilla/Netscape7 Mail which allows users to access
the authentication and encryption features provided by the popular GPG and PGP
software (see screenshots). Enigmail is open source and dually-licensed under
the  GNU General Public License and the Mozilla Public License .

greets

jan