PGPfreeware 8.0: Not so good news for crypto newcomers

Nicko van Someren nicko at ncipher.com
Mon Dec 9 10:10:05 EST 2002

On Monday, Dec 9, 2002, at 05:18 Europe/London, Bill Frantz wrote:

> At 2:34 PM -0800 12/8/02, John Doe Number Two wrote:
>> For all the whining from the 'free beer' crowd, no one had bothered
>> to make
>> PGP/gnupg compatible with OSX and Windoze XP.  Looks like PGP Inc was
>> trying
>> to fill a hole in the market by doing just that.
>
> My wife is using GPG on OS X.  She has integrated with Mail in GUI mode
> using a package called PGPMail.  She says, "It seems to be working
> OK."  (I
> remember spending some time helping her get it up.  Knowledge of Unix
> shell
> helps.)

I can also vouch for GPG on OSX and the GPGMail plug-in for the Apple
Mail application works fairly well for GPG use, though not for key
generation or administrative activities.  I moved over to PGP 8.0 when
the beta came out and while I'm no novice with these things I greatly
appreciate the slick user interface (and the disc encryption that's a
few times faster than Apple's) so I am now running the PGP 8.0 Personal
edition rather than GPGmail.

I think this comes down to a classic time/money tradeoff.  PGP 8.0
Personal edition is currently priced at $39.  Even as an experienced
Unix and PGP user I think that the GUI on PGP 8.0 will save me an hour
of effort over the lifetime of the product, which means it saves me
money in the long run.

	Nicko