DOS attack on WPA 802.11?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Dec 8 17:18:31 EST 2002

The answer is multi-fold.

1) The 802.11i standard wont be finished for a while.

2) There is an apparent Market Requirement for something better than
   WEP __NOW__.

3) The WPA can only change their "requirements" once per year, so even
   if 802.11i were ready in 3 months, it would still take another year
   until it hit the WPA conformance requirements.  But they wanted to
   make some changes _now_ in order to get "better" security into next
   year's product line.

In other words, the answer is due to layers 8 and 9, and nothing
technical....

-derek

daw at mozart.cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner) writes:

> Arnold G. Reinhold wrote:
> >If I am right and WPA needlessly
> >introduces a significant denial of service vulnerability, then it
> >should be fixed. If I am wrong, no change is needed of course.
>
> But TKIP (the part of WPA you're talking about) is only a
> temporary measure, and will soon be replaced by AES-CCMP.
>
> The question is not "Should we replace TKIP?", because the
> answer to that is obvious: "Yes, we should, and we will".
> Th question is: "Why bother working on a `fix' to WPA that
> will likely never be deployed and that will be obsoleted
> in a few years by the spread of AES-CCMP?".

       Derek Atkins