Smartcard in CD

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Sat Aug 31 06:57:01 EDT 2002

> From: "Trei, Peter" <ptrei at rsasecurity.com>
> Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:24:15 -0400

> I wonder about induction too - could you put a small magnet in
> the disk, and use the varying induced fields in the reader
> mechanism to generate power?

Contactless smart cards typically have coils in the card and the
magnetic field is generated by the reader.

Capacitive coupling is an alternative but requires more precise
alignment and thus doesn't really provide a proximity/vicinity card
like inductive coupling does.

On-board batteries are hard to fit on an ISO-format smart card but
maybe with the new ultra-thin batteries that's no longer the case.
Batteries are perhaps more suitable for a CD.