Smartcard in CD

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Wed Aug 28 11:24:15 EDT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Hughes, James P
To: 'ray at unipay.nl'; 'Michael_Heyman at NAI.com'
Cc: 'cryptography at wasabisystems.com'
Sent: 8/27/02 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: Smartcard in CD

Could it be powered by the light from the CD reader laser? Could it then
modulate something to look like it is a CD being read?

Is there any indication that there is anyone from this company
monitoring
this list?

Thanks

jim
-----------
[Excuse the cruddy formatting - I'm using Microsoft Outlook Web
Access.]

I've actually handled these devices (sort of at the level of a
colleague saying "Here's something cool - what do you think we
could do with it?"

The early models have a pair of lithium cells built in (two for
balance). The company is looking into other battery technologies
as well - there are some paper thin batteries coming out.
(It's actually asounding that they can fit their board, batteries
included, into the thickness of a CD, but they've done it.)

I wonder about induction too - could you put a small magnet in
the disk, and use the varying induced fields in the reader
mechanism to generate power?

Peter Trei