<nettime> "Pirate Utopia," FEED, February 20, 2001

Ted Lemon mellon at nominum.com
Mon Sep 24 16:23:32 EDT 2001

> Actually, dictionary attacks reveal about sixty percent of passwords,
> so for every six passwords you find on a dictionary attack, you can
> infer ten actual stegotexts times the ratio between your analyzed and
> discovered (possibly-false) positives.

This presumes that people who use steganography in the real world
right now are similar in their password security habits to the general
computer user population.  Steganography is an esoteric practice, and
really only interesting in the real world to people who have much more
serious security worries than the average computer user.  So I think
this is actually unrealistic - I would bet that close to 0% of
encryption keys used to encrypt data sent in the real world using
steganography (assuming steganography is being used by anybody but
crypto researchers right now) would be susceptible to dictionary
attack.

			       _MelloN_