[FYI] Did Encryption Empower These Terrorists?

lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com
Mon Sep 24 16:14:07 EDT 2001

re: easy;

almost 30 years ago, we shot a scripting type virus on the internal network
and then laid down some "easy" rules that would preclude any new scripting
virus &/or trojan horses.

if it really was as trivial and easy as we thot 30 years ago ... by
definition, the majority of the recent rash of exploits, viruses, et al ...
would never have happened. Since the expolits did  happen (and are
continuing)  ... then there must be issues involved that are not be quite
as easy as we thot 30 years ago.

i spent some amount of my young years around various types of farm
equipment and thot it was easy living thru it (although when I was around
10,  i  let lady-fingers explode in my hand & when I was older ... worked
re-bar w/o gloves). Later, along came HEW and set out guidelines that a lot
of the stuff I grew up working around was dangerous equipment and in
various cases needed substantial modifications (what I thot was easy at the
time, subsequently was judged very dangerous).