NYC events and cell phones

Paul Crowley paul at cluefactory.org.uk
Mon Sep 17 08:05:59 EDT 2001

Peter Fairbrother <peter.fairbrother at ntlworld.com> writes:
> Incidently, even the A5/1 algorithm is supposedly not very secure against eg
> LEAs, Corporations, or perhaps even a very dedicated amateur, though I have
> no exact details to hand.

A normal PC with several hundred gigabytes of disk space and two weeks
preprocessing is sufficient to break A5/1 in about two minutes.  Some
known plaintext is needed; I don't know whether anyone's measured how
difficult it is to make guesses at knownn plaintext in a cellphone
voice stream.
--
  __  Paul Crowley
\/ o\ sig at paul.cluefactory.org.uk
/\__/ http://www.cluefactory.org.uk/paul/
"Conservation of angular momentum makes the world go around" - John Clark