NYC events and cell phones

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Sun Sep 16 19:20:24 EDT 2001

At 06:56 PM 9/16/2001 -0400, t byfield wrote:
>jdyson at treachery.net (Thu 09/13/01 at 02:57 PM -0700):
>
> > > An interesting bit of information: on Tuesday afternoon, to the extend
> > > that cellphones operated, GSM encryption was turned off throughout
> > > Manhattan. My GSM phone would repeatedly warn me of this on every call I
> > > made (or tried to make). As of Wednesday morning, things were back to
> > > normal.
>
>however, a very limited sample did suggest that single-band (i.e.,
>domestic) phones were working while, side by side, 'world' phones
>weren't.

If terrorists were stupid enough to use cellphones, they'd likely use ones
they could use at home, which means (unless they were South American or
domestic or Korean) GSM. So, if someone was going to ask service providers
to turn off encryption, I know which ones I'd start with...

Greg.

Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: ggr at qualcomm.com
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9817 4188   FAX: +61-2-9817 5199
Level 3, 230 Victoria Road,                http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Gladesville NSW 2111    232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C