crypto backdoors = terrorisms free reign

Amir Herzberg AMIR at newgenpay.com
Sun Sep 16 03:00:21 EDT 2001

Hadmut replied to Jim:
> > Incorrect.  You will weaken the absolute security of many, but the few
who
> > choose to use strong (non-GAK) crypto will be easily distinguished from
> > those who comply with the rules.
>
> No. It cannot be easily distinguished. That's the mistake
> almost all politicians do.

Correct, but let me explain _why_.

Suppose by law, everybody can use GAK encryption alg, say `GEEK`. Attacker
wishes to use non-GAK algorithm, say `TRICK`. GEEK has a distinguisher
module available to NSA which outputs GEEK or SUSPECT for encrypted data
(using GEEK or any other algorithm, respectively).

Attacker encrypts his data with TRICK and then with GEEK. So this is validly
GEEK encrypted data. Until the NSA tries to decipher it, it looks fine.

(As far as I know, sending this message is still legal. I definitely hope
so.)

Best, Amir Herzberg