Which internet services were used? (Home of the Brave)

Amir Herzberg AMIR at newgenpay.com
Sun Sep 16 02:54:11 EDT 2001

Perry replied to Eric:

> > The claim is that automobiles or telephones do not evicerate the ability
of
> > law enforcement to effectively do their job, while the use of strong
> > encryption and other electronic sundry do.  Therefore, it is argued that
> > cars and certain phones are ok, while strong encryption is not.
>
> This claim is, however, wrong.
>
> First, lets look at the question of automobiles. Automobiles certainly
<skip>

I think Perry makes a good case for Automobiles. But why ignore the
airplanes? This crime would be impossible if there were no civilian
airplanes allowed. If necessary, the airforce could provide flight services.
Of course, passangers must be chained, as standard precaution; this is only
a minor inconvinience, well worth the improved security, as the crew will
only be to happy to help passangers relieve themselves, with reasonable if
not perfect privacy.

Another advantage of preventing air traffic (and preferably also cars, as
Perry already argued), would be to make contact between terrorists via face
to face meeting more difficult. By forcing people to communicate
electronically, and without (legal) encryption, we can substantially reduce
the percentage of successful attacks (there are some critics who may claim
it may increase the number of terrorists, but we can always ignore these).

One last suggestion: the special aircrafts as well as the chains will be
decorated with American heritage, to show America will not give in so
easily, e.g. `Welcome to America, Home of the Brave`.

I must however disagree with Perry's ending comments:

> There is also the question of skill. Even if you could find every copy
> of PGP on earth and erase it, if Ossama bin Laden could get his people
> trained as pilots, what would be so hard about getting them copies of
> Bruce Schneier's book? Or do you plan to ban it and all the others?

What do you mean `ban it`? Definitely, US forces should _eliminate_ all
these dangerous weapons, by searching libraries worldwide. We expect every
freedom-loving nation to help, but it may be that we'll need to use force
with some countries. There is always the danger of some copies made, but
that's pretty easy to prevent; copy and press machines have been abused by
terrorists for centuries and it is high time to control their use. We still
have the technology to do so; let's use it now, then we can get rid of these
dangerous computer science departments.

Best, Amir Herzberg