DCSB: Jean Camp; Trust and Risk in Digital Commerce

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sat Sep 15 12:31:07 EDT 2001

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:16:57 -0400
To: dcsb at ai.mit.edu, dcsb-announce at ai.mit.edu
From: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com>
Subject: DCSB: Jean Camp; Trust and Risk in Digital Commerce
Cc: Jean Camp <Jean_Camp at harvard.edu>
Sender: bounce-dcsb at reservoir.com

[The Harvard Club is now "business casual". No more jackets and ties,
but see below for details. While it lasts, anyway. Since last year's
dot-bomb, the suit-ratio in the main dining room has been
asymptotically approaching unity. :-). --RAH]

                 The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                              Presents

                             Jean Camp,
                    Kennedy School of Government

                  Trust and Risk in Digital Commerce

                     Tuesday, October 2nd, 2001
                             12 - 2 PM
                 The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                    One Federal Street, Boston, MA

Trust is the critical variable in Internet Commerce. Trust
requirements differentiate Internet from other forms of commerce.
Trust has three primary components: reliability, security, and
privacy.

There is trust in routing, trust in encryption, and trust in
applications. The layers of trust, the areas of risk, the power of
cryptography, and the limits to security are all explained for the
general audience in this text.

When a business obtains customer data, the customer trusts that the
data are used to improve service for her, and not used in a manner
that harms her. The business is not necessarily violating privacy but
is certainly requiring some extension of trust from the customer.
This talk examines that trust relationship and examines the types of
data that are most immediately useful but the least used.

This talk contains explanations of fault tolerance and the components
of reliability. Most transactions today are not fault tolerant. If a
transaction is not reliable (in the sense of being fault tolerant)
someone is at risk when the transaction fails. It is therefore
important to be able to read a transaction-based Internet commerce
standard and understand from that the risks involved in using the
standard.

Jean Camp is an Assistant Professor at the Kennedy School of
Government, a Senior Member of the IEEE, and an elected Director of
CPSR. Prof. Camp's core interest is in the interaction of technology,
society, and the economy. Her interest usually fits within the design
for values rubric or under the electronic civil liberties umbrella.
It was this interest that led Prof. Camp from graduate electrical
engineering research in North Carolina to the Department of
Engineering and Public Policy at Carnegie Mellon, and it remained her
core research interest at Sandia National Laboratories, and continues
at the Kennedy School. Prof. Camp's expertise are in Internet
commerce and design for values. She is the author of "Trust and Risk
in Internet Commerce" (2000, MIT Press). She is the author of more
than thirty peer-reviewed publications on technical issues of social
importance (e.g., privacy, reliability) and social issues with
critical technical elements (e.g., content selection).

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held
on Tuesday, October 2nd, 2001, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown
Branch of the Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. The
price for lunch is $37.50. This price includes lunch, room rental,
A/V hardware if necessary, and the speakers' lunch. The Harvard Club
has relaxed its dress code, which is now "business casual", meaning
no sneakers or jeans. Fair warning: since we purchase these luncheons
in advance, we will be unable to refund the price of your meal if the
Club finds you in violation of what's left of its dress code.

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we
*really* know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of
Boston", by Saturday, September 29th, or you won't be on the list for
lunch. Checks payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston
will be returned.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The
Harvard Club of Boston", in the amount of $37.50. Please include your
e-mail address so that we can send you a confirmation

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements
(we've had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for
instance), please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can
work something out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

November TBA
December TBA
January  TBA

As you can see, :-), we are actively searching for future speakers.
If you are in Boston on the first Tuesday of the month, are a
principal in digital commerce, and would like to make a presentation
to the Society, please send e-mail to the DCSB Program Committee,
care of Robert Hettinga, <mailto: rah at shipwright.com>.

For more information about the Digital Commerce Society of Boston,
send "info dcsb" in the body of a message to <mailto:
e-mail list, send "subscribe dcsb" in the body of a message to
<mailto: majordomo at reservoir.com> . We look forward to seeing you
there!

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA