NYT article on steganography

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Tue Oct 30 10:27:43 EST 2001

reinhold at world.std.com (Tue 10/30/01 at 09:04 AM -0500):

> [More alarmist than I would expect from Ms. Kolata. Many sources
> quoted who claim to have seen lots of stego, but won't give details.
> -- agr]

> Veiled Messages of Terrorists May Lurk in Cyberspace
 <...>
> By GINA KOLATA

ms. kolata developed quite a reputation for herself when she was cover-
ing the AIDS beat in, iirc, the late 80s and early 90s--as an utter in-
competent who'd gladly flog FUD if it would advance her career. ACT-UP
put a surprising amount of energy into putting a spot light on her.

i dunno whether that was a factor in the NYT's decision to not to give
on an anthrax beat, but it looks like she's found another angle.

cheers,