DCSB: Marcel Meth; fileTRUST, Distributed Storage and Digital Commerce

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Oct 19 14:24:15 EDT 2001

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:32:03 -0400
To: dcsb at ai.mit.edu, dcsb-announce at ai.mit.edu
From: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com>
Subject: DCSB: Marcel Meth; fileTRUST, Distributed Storage and Digital
 Commerce
Cc: <Marcel_E_Meth at fleet.com>, Chuck Wade <Chuck at Commerce.Net>
Sender: bounce-dcsb at reservoir.com

[The Harvard Club is now "business casual". No more jackets and ties,
but see below for details. While it lasts, anyway. Since the
dot-bomb, the suit percentage in the main dining room has been
asymptotically approaching unity. :-). --RAH]

                 The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                              Presents

                             Marcel Meth,
                         Founder, fileTRUST
                        FleetBoston Financial

          fileTRUST, Distributed Storage and Digital Commerce

                     Tuesday, November 6th, 2001
                             12 - 2 PM
                 The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                    One Federal Street, Boston, MA

Marcel Meth will talk about his experience at being an entrepreneur
within a large traditional bank, FleetBoston. He'll describe the
trials and tribulations that were involved in developing an entirely
new product, fileTRUST (sm) a secure web service that allows any web
user to requisition online storage and collaborate with others.
Marcel will also talk about how he dealt with some of the social
barriers in the bank and the organizational methodolgy he used to
build the product in 9 months.

Marcel Meth has been a member of the Internet Strategy Team at
FleetBoston Financial since January 1999. During this period he has
been involved in looking at new technologies and how they can be
leveraged in banking. He is the founder of fileTRUST (sm), a secure
web service that allows any web user to requisition online storage
and collaborate with others. Prior to FleetBoston, Marcel spent 8
years at Lotus Development Corporation (now IBM) where he was an
architect on many facets of Smart Suite and started an effort to
deploy a small business portal. Prior to Lotus, Marcel was a Member
of Technical Staff at AT&T Bell Labs for 8 years. Much of his work
focused on CAD for Silicon and Printed Wiring Boards. He was also
responsible for the early releases of the OPEN LOOK user interface.

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held
on Tuesday, November 6th, 2001, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown
Branch of the Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. The
price for lunch is $37.50. This price includes lunch, room rental,
A/V hardware if necessary, and the speakers' lunch. The Harvard Club
has relaxed its dress code, which is now "business casual", meaning
no sneakers or jeans. Fair warning: since we purchase these luncheons
in advance, we will be unable to refund the price of your meal if the
Club finds you in violation of what's left of its dress code.

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we
*really* know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of
Boston", by Saturday, November 3rd, or you won't be on the list for
lunch. Checks payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston
will be returned.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The
Harvard Club of Boston", in the amount of $37.50. Please include your
e-mail address so that we can send you a confirmation

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements
(we've had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for
instance), please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can
work something out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

December Chuck Wade
January  TBA
February TBA

As you can see, :-), we are actively searching for future speakers.
If you are in Boston on the first Tuesday of the month, are a
principal in digital commerce, and would like to make a presentation
to the Society, please send e-mail to the DCSB Program Committee,
care of Robert Hettinga, <mailto: rah at shipwright.com>.

For more information about the Digital Commerce Society of Boston,
send "info dcsb" in the body of a message to <mailto:
e-mail list, send "subscribe dcsb" in the body of a message to
<mailto: majordomo at reservoir.com> . We look forward to seeing you
there!

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA