Microsoft DRM2 cracked, source code released

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Oct 19 14:21:36 EDT 2001

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:47:44 -0700
From: "Jon O ." <jono at microshaft.org>
To: fork at xent.com
Subject: Microsoft DRM2 cracked, source code released
Sender: fork-admin at xent.com

Subject: [DMCA_discuss] Microsoft DRM2 cracked, source code released
To: dmca_discuss at lists.microshaft.org
Cc: it_union at lists.microshaft.org
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:20:30 -0700

The author's zipped file contains a lengthy description of the MS DRM
weaknesses, a philosophical tract explaining why he thinks it necessary to
crack, the source code, and the command-line utility.

The alias Beale Screamer, incidentally, derives from the lines of 'Howard
Beale' in the movie 'Network', we're told. "Just yell to the publishers
'I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!'"

http://jya.com/ms-drm.htm

Found this on sci.crypt today. It's an interesting piece of research which
will most likely be stomped soon by MS using DMCA or similar.