limits of watermarking (Re: First Steganographic Image in the Wild)

Matt Crawford crawdad at fnal.gov
Wed Oct 17 11:26:55 EDT 2001

> a) I believe physical media will always have higher bandwidth than
> broadband - why? Because you have to feed the broadband from somewhere,
> and archive it somewhere.

You can use an expensive physical medium to drive your transmission.
If you sell atoms, you have to use a cheap medium.

> It seems to me that putting the details of the purchaser in plaintext on
> the beginning of the file and making it illegal to remove it is as good
> a protection as you are ever going to get - but that would ruin a whole
> bunch of business plans, so I guess no "expert" is going to admit that.

On this, I agree.  Just like some more mundane security issues, you
can heap endless layers of mummery and confusion on top, but at the
bottom you often find a "secret" in long-term storage in the clear.