Scarfo "keylogger", PGP

Rick Smith at Secure Computing rick_smith at securecomputing.com
Wed Oct 17 11:09:57 EDT 2001

At 09:59 AM 10/16/2001, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

>The affidavit is extremely complex and hard to unravel, whether to try to
>preserve secrecy, in the hope that it will confuse the defence/Court, or
>perhaps it's just legalese, I don't know.

I spoke to someone a couple of years ago who had tried to establish a set
of technical standards for handling host security logs so that they could
be used as legal evidence, and ran into a stone wall at the Justice
Department. Evidently they feared that defendants could manipulate any such
standards to ensure that *no* electronic evidence could ever stand up in court.

I suspect the affidavit is badly written so that it meets the minimum
standard for the court while providing as little useful information as
possible.

Rick.
smith at securecomputing.com            roseville, minnesota
"Authentication" in bookstores http://www.visi.com/crypto/