Computer Security Division Activities

Mike Brodhead mkb at black-ice.org
Sat Oct 13 15:46:20 EDT 2001

> I will not participate in activities that require me to "identify
> myself" to the government, or to be pre-vetted for attendance.

Just about all of the private-sector conferences I have attended
require registration.  The same goes for any decent hotel.  Does this
bother me?  Sure it does, but the prospect of being monitored day and
and day out on the internet bothers me more.

While registration is an annoyance, let's remember what the real
privacy battle is about: free use of strong encryption, freedom from
unwarranted monitoring by systems like Echelon and Carnivore, freedom
to conduct dialogue and commerce in a secure and anonymous manner if
we so choose.

We do our cause a disservice by finding devils at every turn.  If we
are perceived as zealots or extremists it becomes difficult to get
people to listen.

--mkb