Computer Security Division Activities

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Sat Oct 13 01:28:52 EDT 2001

> workshop is scheduled for November 1-2 at NIST. Registration is REQUIRED
> because of enhanced security procedures (i.e., so that attendees can be
> admitted to the NIST campus). Please see
> http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/kms/workshop2-page.html for registration
> information.

What is this lunacy about registering?  Does someone seriously think
that terrorists will attack the National Institute of Standards?
Or that if they were serious about attacking, they wouldn't just
pre-register their real or fake ID's so they'd be allowed in?

This sort of idiocy just puts a barrier between the government and
the public it is supposedly serving.  And of course does nothing to
actually improve the actual "security".  It's particularly galling
since the meeting is supposedly among experts in computer security.

Wouldn't it be much better to all go home and hide under the covers?
That would make us feel much safer.  Just like children, which is the
way our government is treating us.

I will not participate in activities that require me to "identify myself"
to the government, or to be pre-vetted for attendance.

	John Gilmore