What's the state of the art in one-pass integrity/encryption?

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Sat Nov 24 19:22:09 EST 2001

All of the early schemes were broken, as was the NSA's submission to the
AES Modes of Operation workshop. However, three schemes, all similar in
principal, have not only survived, but have proofs of correctness. The
first was Charanjit Jutla's IAPM mode, another is Rogaway's OCB, and the
third is from Gligor and Pompescu but I can't remember its name (I'm
passing through SFO as I write this, so forgive me for not having
references to hand).

Phil Hawkes and I have extended IAPM (and I believe the method is
applicable to the other modes too) so that you can authenticate parts of
the message that are not encrypted, like IP headers for example. We sent
public comments to NIST about this, or I cam post more detail if you need.

regards,
Greg.

Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: ggr at qualcomm.com
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9817 4188   FAX: +61-2-9817 5199
Level 3, 230 Victoria Road,                http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Gladesville NSW 2111    232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C