DCSB: Chuck Wade; New Authentication Services--A pending train wreck?

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sat Nov 17 14:54:11 EST 2001

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 10:16:39 -0500
To: dcsb at ai.mit.edu, dcsb-announce at ai.mit.edu
From: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com>
Subject: DCSB: Chuck Wade; New Authentication Services--A pending train
 wreck?
Cc: Chuck Wade <Chuck at Commerce.Net>, James Turk <jamesturk at goldmoney.com>
Sender: bounce-dcsb at reservoir.com

[The Harvard Club is now "business casual". No more jackets and ties,
but see below for details. While it lasts, anyway. Since the
dot-bomb, the suit-probability in the main dining room has been
asymptotically approaching unity. :-). --RAH]

                 The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                              Presents

                             Chuck Wade

          New Authentication Services--A pending train wreck?

                     Tuesday, December 4th, 2001
                             12 - 2 PM
                 The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                    One Federal Street, Boston, MA

The IT industry's holy grail has always been "single sign-on,"
and now Microsoft is promising to deliver this long-sought
treasure with its Passport offering. Meanwhile, AOL, Oracle and
Sun (with its friends in the Liberty Alliance) are also claiming
to have found solutions to the single sign-on problem. In the
payments world, Visa is readying a new authentication service
called 3-D Secure for over-the-Internet credit card transactions,
while MasterCard prepares to introduce its SPA authentication
technology and American Express is still promoting its Blue Card
and associated wallet software.

Interest in authentication services, including single sign-on,
has reached a fever pitch since the tragic events of September
11th, although interest was building even before the twin towers
collapsed. With all of these new authentication services coming
to market, it might seem that the IT industry is about to finally
get some much-needed relief from the suffering associated with
weak, or non-existent, authentication. Unfortunately, what we may
be about to witness instead is another industry train wreck as
competing solutions collide in the midst of a skeptical market
place.

This talk will highlight some of the strengths and weaknesses of
these emerging authentication services. It will also discuss
their common failure to address the real requirements of users.
Some thoughts will be offered on how the industry approach needs
to change if viable authentication services are ever to be
adopted in the real world.

Chuck Wade consults on Internet payments and security. He was
previously engaged as a Senior Researcher at CommerceNet, and as
a Principal Consultant in the Information Security Group of BBN
Technologies. At BBN, he led Electronic Commerce initiatives and
client engagements, with most of his consulting work within the
Financial Industry. As one of the original participants in the
FSTC eCheck Project, Chuck has been involved with
over-the-Internet electronic payments since the mid 1990's. He
also contributed directly to the architecture, design, deployment
and testing of various large, mission-critical networks,
including the trading floor network for the New York and American
Stock Exchanges.

In a career spanning a quarter century, Chuck spent all of the
'90s with BBN (now a part of Verizon) as a Consultant and Systems
Architect. During most of the '80s, he worked at Motorola
directing the Advanced Technology Group for their Codex division.
He has also worked in the minicomputer industry and university
research. He holds both Sc.B. and Sc.M. degrees from Brown
University in Electrical Engineering.

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held
on Tuesday, December 4th, 2001, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown
Branch of the Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. The
price for lunch is $37.50. This price includes lunch, room rental,
A/V hardware if necessary, and the speakers' lunch. The Harvard Club
has relaxed its dress code, which is now "business casual", meaning
no sneakers or jeans. Fair warning: since we purchase these luncheons
in advance, we will be unable to refund the price of your meal if the
Club finds you in violation of what's left of its dress code.

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we
*really* know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of
Boston", by Saturday, December 1st, or you won't be on the list for
lunch. Checks payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston
will be returned.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The
Harvard Club of Boston", in the amount of $37.50. Please include your
e-mail address so that we can send you a confirmation

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements
(we've had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for
instance), please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can
work something out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

January  James Turk  Non-Bank Payment Systems
February TBA

As you can see, :-), we are actively searching for future speakers.
If you are in Boston on the first Tuesday of the month, are a
principal in digital commerce, and would like to make a presentation
to the Society, please send e-mail to the DCSB Program Committee,
care of Robert Hettinga, <mailto: rah at shipwright.com>.

For more information about the Digital Commerce Society of Boston,
send "info dcsb" in the body of a message to <mailto:
e-mail list, send "subscribe dcsb" in the body of a message to
<mailto: majordomo at reservoir.com> . We look forward to seeing you
there!

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
To unsubscribe from this list, send a letter to: Majordomo at reservoir.com
In the body of the message, write:  unsubscribe dcsb-announce
Or, to subscribe,           write:  subscribe dcsb-announce
If you have questions, write to me at Owner-DCSB at reservoir.com

--- end forwarded text

44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA