Thai Pirates Crack Microsoft's New Windows System

John R Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Nov 13 12:54:46 EST 2001

>Shops at Bangkok's Pantip Plaza -- a multi-story rabbit's warren of computer
>goods outlets -- said pirates had found ways of getting around the new
>operating system's security features.

They didn't have to.  It's not widely publicized, but there's a
version of XP that has the old "type in a registration number"
activation rather than the intrusive new phone-home variety.

I imagine there's more than one large corporation that told Microsoft
that any operating system that insisted on exporting the configuration
data of all 300,000 of their corporate PCs through the firewall was
not something they were going to buy.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
johnl at iecc.com, Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,