Thai Pirates Crack Microsoft's New Windows System

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Nov 13 09:59:37 EST 2001

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011112/tc/tech_thailand_windows_dc_1.html

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai computer users are buying thousands of pirated copies
of Microsoft's new Windows XP (news - web sites) operating system a week ahead
of its official launch in Thailand, vendors said on Monday.

Shops at Bangkok's Pantip Plaza -- a multi-story rabbit's warren of computer
goods outlets -- said pirates had found ways of getting around the new
operating system's security features.

``We've had XP Professional for three weeks and it's selling very well. We sell
around 200 copies a day,'' one shop owner, who identified himself only as Nop,
told Reuters.

[...]

Peter.