Proving security protocols

Roop Mukherjee bmukherj at styx.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 1 10:00:46 EST 2001

I have being trying to read about formally proving security protocols. I
have seen the work of Needham, Paulson et. al., Meadows among others.

I was wondering if anyone here has seen a comparison between these
approaches to evaluate things like ease of use and effectiveness. I mean
something with a little more detail than the related work section of most
of these papers.
Is one of these approaches considered as "best-practice" or is more
commonly used than the other?
Can someone offer some criticism of the practice formal verification in
general ?

Thanks,
-- Roop