Australian government says CoE Cybercrime Convention DOES confer GAK powers

Grant Bayley gbayley at ausmac.net
Sun Jul 8 01:06:20 EDT 2001

On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Caspar Bowden wrote:

> On 14th November 2000, Peter Csonka of the Council of Europe was
> reported as denying that the Cybercrime convention conferred powers for
> government access to encryption keys ("That was never our intention"
> http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/45/ns-19057.html)
>
> However on the Second Reading of the Australian Cybercrime Bill on 27th
> June 2001, Attorney General Daryl Williams said "Such a power is
> contained in the draft Council of Europe Convention on Cybercrime and
> will assist officers in gaining access to encrypted information."
> http://search.aph.gov.au/search/ParlInfo.ASP?action=view&item=0&from=bro
> wse&path=Legislation/Current+Bills+by+Title/Cybercrime+Bill+2001/Second+
> reading+speeches&items=1&altbrowse=yes
>
> The text of the Australian Cybercrime Bill 2001 is at
> http://search.aph.gov.au/search/ParlInfo.asp?WCI=Hyperlink&CLASS=BILL&XR
> efID=R1360&Short=Cybercrime+Bill+2001

Just a followup about this proposed legislation, the following mailing
list has been set up to discuss it, the GAK issues raised above, as well
as to discuss submissions to the Senate Legal and Constitutional
Committee inquiry.  To join, send an empty email to:

	2600-law-subscribe at wiretapped.net

(There's also a digest version (2600-law-digest-subscribe at wiretapped.net)
but the traffic is only fairly light at present. (maybe not for much
longer))

Information about the Senate Legal and Constitutional Committee inquiry is
located at:

	http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/legcon_ctte/cybercrimebill01/cybercrime.htm

Written submissions must be made by 20th July, 2001, and public hearings
are being held in Sydney on 19th July and in Canberra on 9th August.

2600 Australia has prepared an initial response to the second reading
speech at the following URL, and will be making an official submission in
due course:

	http://www.2600.org.au/cybercrime-bill-response.txt

Hope this is of interest,

Grant